Sunday 24 February 2013

Life and death

This is going to be an angry entry.  Angry in a passionate way.

It never ceases to amaze me how, when someone's died in a car crash where speed or other controllable variables were to blame (texting, drinking/drugs, hooning), their family and friends come out and say how amazing they were - how special/clever/funny/kind they were, how they would do anything for anyone in need, what a bright future they had etc.  But none of them ever say, "He/she died because they were being an idiot.  They were being a jerk and that's why they're dead."  Has anyone else ever noticed that?

In my line of work, I have lost count of the number of photos and stories I've read about these young people, and the utter pain and anguish of the loved ones left behind.  I can only begin to imagine what it's like for the emergency service personnel who have to scrape their bloody and mangled bodies off the road, or the hospital staff who work frantically and desperately trying to save them.  Only to lose them.  Because they were driving like a jerk.  Because they thought they were such a great driver they could take that corner at 80km/h.  Because they thought that because they'd been driving for more than two minutes that the laws of physics didn't apply to them.  That their car is so amazingly special that it can do things that the aforementioned laws of physics says will result in an explosion!

You are not special.  Your car is not special.  Your tyres are not special.  Your driving history is not going to save your ass if you drive like a jerk.

If you drive like an idiot, you deserve to hit a pole and write your car off.  And to God I pray that's the only thing you hit, and the only thing that happens.  Machines can be replaced.  People cannot.

Now, let me come at this from another angle.

When I was very newly pregnant, and coming up to the 13-week nuchal translucency scan, we had the option of having an amniocentesis in case they thought our baby might have Downs Syndrome.  I was all for it.  "Let's do the tests to see what's going on so we have all the information and can deal with whatever they find."  My husband was passionately against it.  "But why?" I asked.  "Because there's a chance that just having the test will cause a miscarriage."   "Ooooh.  Then hec no!"

I wanted to protect the little life growing inside me with all my worth.  I didn't want to do anything that may, even in a very small percentage, cause my baby harm.  I didn't care if the chance was 1 in 1000.  That was 1 in 1000 too many for me!

So why would you do anything in your life that would increase the risk of you dieing, or you killing someone else?  I'll bet when you're sitting in the ER watching the life drain from your friend, you would chose to do things differently.  

If the chance of you killing or permanently disabling your friend because you were speeding and showing off was 1 in 1000, would you take it?  Would you feel all tough and macho then?  Would all the boys think you were a "bad ass" then?

If there was a 1 in 1000 chance that your speeding would force your parents to plan your funeral, would you take it?

If there was a 1 in 1000 chance that you would leave your new bride/groom a widow because you took a corner too fast because you were deluded enough to think your "totally awesome, bitchin'" car would handle it, would you take it?  Is your life or their life worth taking a risk?

If anyone says yes, then you totally deserve what is inevitably coming your way.  I just hope someone in your circle of family and friends speaks up at your funeral and tells the world what a deluded idiot you were!


You are not special.  Your car is not special.  Your tyres are not special.  You are not, and will never be a great enough driver to defy the laws of physics.


THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment